Fiesta del Otoño will celebrate Latino customs and heritage

The fifth annual Fiesta del Otoño , a festival that brings together and honors the cultures of various Latin American groups in Bloomington, will take place from 10 a.m. to noon Sept. 25 at the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market.

“It is a wonderful opportunity to meet people from many different Latin American countries all in one morning,” Melissa Britton, City of Bloomington’s Latino Outreach Coordinator, said in an e-mail. “And more importantly, it’s fun.”

Britton said attendees can expect a Latin dance demonstration by Ritmos Latinos Indiana and a showing of traditional Mexican dance.

In addition to the dancing, guests can also experience a taste of Latin flavors.

“Rumba! Cafe will be putting on a cooking demonstration to prepare tostones,” Britton said. “There will be two cooking demonstrations, one at 10:30 a.m. and the other at 11:30 a.m. in the City Hall atrium.”

“One thing that we would really like to emphasize is that the event is not just for Latino residents — it’s for everyone,” Jared Schlemmer, City of Bloomington’s Deputy Mayor, said in an e-mail.

Fiesta del Otoño is sponsored by the City of Bloomington Community and Family Resources Department, Bloomington Hospital Positive Link and the IU Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies.

“The goal is to give everyone in the community an opportunity to learn, be entertained and have a greater appreciation for Latino customs and heritage,” Schlemmer said.