sports field hockey

Field hockey cages Golden Bears in home opener

Field Hockey

Each time California scored, IU answered with a goal of its own, en route to a 4-2 win Thursday the 2010 home opener.

IU coach Amy Robertson said the team took advantage of its opportunities.

“We’ve got goal scorers. If we have those kind of looks, it’s a pretty good chance we’re going to produce a goal,” Robertson said. “If we’re going to score four goals and have eight shots on goal, I’m very happy with that.”

The Hoosiers opened the scoring less than three minutes into the game when senior midfielder Kelsey Kiper scored off a rebound. That goal set the tone for the Hoosiers.

“When we start off a game that well, and start connecting, then it flows throughout the rest of the game,” Kiper said.

Junior back Brenna Moeljadi agreed.

“We started off strong, really connected well. I think it translated to the goals we got,”
she said.

IU increased their lead 12 minutes later when senior forward Lena Grote put in a pass from sophomore forward Morgan Fleetwood. Fleetwood went on to tally four points — one goal and two assists — on the game.

California scored off a penalty corner 24 minutes into the contest with the goal from midfielder Rosa Stabler.

IU responded to Cal’s first tally at the 44:47 mark when junior forward Jacyln Zamudio scored on a pass from Fleetwood.

“We start off strong in the first five minutes of the game, and five minutes after any goal scored, we reminded ourselves that we need to pick up the teamwork,” Moeljadi said.

Cal cut its deficit 15 minutes into the second half when midfielder Andrea Earle scored off of a penalty corner.

Fleetwood concluded the scoring in the 61st minute when she won a ball in the circle and placed it in the left corner of the cage.

“When an opponent scores on you, you’re always thinking in your head ‘What am I supposed to do to improve? Why did that goal happen? What can we do to prevent it next time?’ That’s our mentality — to continue to be tough as we go throughout the game,” Kiper said.

IU got a scare when freshman back Danielle McNally was hit above her right eye in the second half. She got up and walked off the field under her own power. She received seven stitches. Robertson said she’ll be ready for the team’s next game Saturday against Ohio.

“It’s a clean cut. She’s stitched up. If it wasn’t so big, she could’ve gone back in. There was no situation of a concussion,” Robertson said. “She’s also really tough. That’s exactly the kind of mentality you want out of a backfield player.

"She said on the sidelines, ‘Can I go back in?’ You want them to say that. That’s a good thing. She’s cleared to go.”

The field hockey team will face Ohio at 2 p.m. Saturday at the IU Field Hockey Field.