Column: Small schools can produce football stars, too

My guess is that by the time ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr.’s 2011 stock of hair gel runs out and the NFL combine rolls around, we will have had our fill of hearing about top NFL prospects such as Terrelle Pryor, Jake Locker and Marvin Austin.

So, here’s a shout-out to the little guys out there that could be making some noise this college football season and next spring when the NFL draft comes around.

1. Cecil Shorts, wide receiver/running back, Mt. Union — The 2009 Division III Offensive Player of the Year and two-time All-American began the task of filling current Indianapolis Colts receiver Pierre Garcon’s shoes just two seasons ago.

The job has proved to be anything but a task for Shorts, whose numbers for last season amounted to 100 catches for 1,736 yards.

The hybrid also has notched 37 all-purpose touchdowns during the last two seasons.

Oh, he’s also a two-time national champion, two-time All-conference selection and two-time Ed Sherman Award winner, which he received for being the top receiver in the conference.

2. Will Rackley, offensive tackle, Lehigh — The four-year starter and 2009 AP All-American has anchored Lehigh’s offensive line since he stepped onto campus.
Rackley is 6-feet-4 inches and weighs 310 pounds to go along with his 440-pound bench press.

The First Team All-Patriot League selection also clocked in an unofficial 5.1 40-yard dash.

3. Andre Holmes, wide receiver, Hillsdale — Look up “playmaker” in the dictionary, and Holmes’s picture might be right there.

The 2010 Division II preseason All-America Honorable Mention recorded 1,076 yards on just 77 catches to go along with six scores
in 2009.

His unofficial 40-yard dash time is just 4.63 seconds, but his 6-foot-5-inch frame could make for a nice career as a possession
receiver.

4. Pat Devlin, quarterback, Delaware — The Penn State transfer was the only Football Championship Subdivision quarterback named to the Johnny Unitas Gold Arm Award watch list.

At 6-foot-4-inches and 220 pounds, multiple scouting services rank Devlin as the most NFL-ready FCS quarterback.

His long completions were 79 and 72 yards, contributing to his 2,664-yard passing total. Devlin threw for 300-plus yards on three occasions and 400-plus yards once.

5. Matt Marcorelle, linebacker, Delaware — Marcorelle, a former teammate of current Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, was granted a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA this past offseason due to a plethora of injuries through the league’s “hardship waiver.”

Marcorelle has played just three full seasons at Delaware because of these injuries.
However, he has registered 156 tackles and 15 sacks in all of those seasons (36 games).

A proven leader, Marcorelle will serve as the Blue Hens’ captain for a fourth year.
At 6-foot-2-inches and 245 pounds, Marcorelle has proven he can play both linebacker and defensive end.