Students adjust to campus life

Max, Jake & Jimmy

Minivans, station wagons and pickup trucks were filled with Target blankets, Nesquik chocolate milk cartons and Healthy Choice Soup in bulk. Dollies were for heavier items – microwaves and mini-fridges.

Everything cluttered the circular driveways and parking lots of Briscoe, McNutt and Foster Quads, which were in the Northwest neighborhood of IU residence halls.

Parents embraced their children, who are ready to grow up and be adults at an age when most are unaware of their own life ambitions.

But you knew this already.

This is the scene that happens once the teary-eyed parents drive away from
the dorms.

Picture this: Three freshmen males were excited about the prospects of the high girl-to-guy ratios in their neighborhood.

Max Smock just moved in to McNutt, and his buddies Jake Kovalsky and Jimmy Webb moved into Briscoe and Foster, respectively.

They were clad in red, white and grey basketball shorts, respectively.

As the largest dorm on campus, McNutt is known for its ‘nice rooms’ and crazy parties.

In Foster, there are many girls who eventually join sororities.

In “Briscoe Disco”, the women are casually referred to as “Brischoes,” whether the
label fits or not. 

It doesn’t help that a flock of blonde and brunette girls were spread throughout the neighborhood wearing short-shorts to promote B-Town Menus, a website where students can order discounted food.

The girls were handing out white plastic cups and neon pink and green T-shirts.

A particularly perky brunette, trailed by a less perky blonde walked up to a concrete bench outside McNutt where Smock, Kovalsky and Webb were seated.

The guys dragged on Marlboro Lights.

“Are you hungry?” the brunette asked.

The men murmured something incoherent and smiled at her. She offered them plastic cups.

“There’s cheap food online,” she said.

The men all watched in unison as she and her companion walked away.

When she was out of earshot, Jimmy spoke first.

“She’s got a small hickey on her neck,” he said. “Did you guys see that?"