Main Squeeze to play for returning students

Friday concert to celebrate new semester with ‘feel-good music’

The Main Squeeze

As IU students head back to town or are already unpacking, parties are being planned, bar specials are being announced and bands are preparing to entertain.

The Main Squeeze, the headliner for Friday’s welcome back concert at the Bluebird Nightclub, is one of them. The funk/rock band is scheduled to play at midnight.

“We play at Bluebird all the time,” lead vocalist Corey Frye said. “We are really excited about Friday night and doing something special for students back in Bloomington.”

The band got together more than a year and a half ago. Ben Silverstein, a recent IU graduate, said he had worked with other groups as soon as he came to campus, but when his long-time friend Max Newman joined him two years later, they both decided to form their own band.

“We wanted to play our own music,” Silverstein said.

Frye, a new member, said he joined the band after a couple of rehearsals.

“It just felt right,” he said. “I started singing with them and stuck around.”

Senior Reuben Gingrich, the band’s drummer, said he joined the band for the love of music. He said he enjoys meeting people and having a good time. With graduation in the near future, he said he plans to stay with the band.

“I want to stay active and play music as much as possible,” he said.

Silverstein categorizes the band under “feel-good music.” A mix of funk, soul and rock. He has a hard time choosing one genre for the group.

“It just makes you feel good,” he said.

Although the band has played a lot in several locations, Frye said he is looking forward to their first Chicago appearance on Sept. 4. The band will play at the North Coast Music Festival in Goose Island in Wrigleyville.

“We want to spread out in the Midwest,” he said. ”We want to play everywhere.”

After four months of separation, the band is preparing their first show, which will introduce a new bass player and lineup.

“It’s going to be a good one,” Silverstein said.

Tickets for Friday’s show can be purchased at the door.