Fresh Idea: JMUSE’s concept competes for grant against groups across the nation

J Muse

The Pepsi Refresh project has encouraged individuals and groups to come up with refreshing ideas that will “change the world.” JMUSE (Just Making Use of Soulful Expression) Productionz believes its idea can do just that.

The group, which grew from 25 to 45 members in one year, has developed a program, S.T.E.P. (Scaffolding Talent for Exceptional Purposes), focused on high school artists who might not have the time or the opportunity to develop their talent in classes. The summer program will fuse African dance, modern dance and stepping to tell a story of freedom in a production.

“I wanted to provide a platform for struggling artists to come together,” said graduate student Justin Merrick, founder of JMUSE. Merrick is currently the creative director of the organization.

Merrick said S.T.E.P. is a way for the organization to move forward. Instead of just helping college students enhance their talents, high school students from around Indiana will be able to perform. Although artistic talent is what brings the organization together, Merrick said it is not just about providing entertainment, but also about educating the audience.

“It’s activism through the arts,” he said. “We want to express our political ideologies, social construct and cultural diversities through these shows. We expose new ways of using talent, like persuasion.”

One such performance raised money and awareness for Haiti last February.     
Senior Melody Barham said the organization has helped her develop her talents. A singer and writer, she is learning to dance and step through JMUSE.

“It is great to see everyone grow as dancers and as people,” she said. “I’ve learned not to limit myself.”

Barham said she believes the summer program will be helpful because staying productive during the summer has helped her be a proactive individual. She said she is excited to offer the opportunity to younger students.

The Pepsi Refresh project will provide $25,000 to the top 10 winners. JMUSE currently ranks 41. Senior Robyn Coleman said they are asking everyone to vote to help them go up in ranking.  By logging in through the Pepsi Refresh page, students, friends and family are able to vote once a day. Texting a daily vote is also an option.

As a singer in the group, Coleman said the experience has been breathtaking. She said being in JMUSE has given her the ability to speak in public.

“When you believe in something as much as I believe in this organization, you’re able to face your fears,” she said.

JMUSE is scheduled to make appearances in several locations this week including residence halls and CultureFest. Coleman said the organization will continue to encourage everyone to vote for their project until the Aug. 31 deadline.

“This organization gives great artists an opportunity to do what they love,” Coleman said. “I love it.”