IU Athletics to join Indianapolis GLBT celebration

Many IU departments and organizations are involved in this year’s Circle City IN Pride, including the Kinsey Institute, IU Alumni Association and, for the first time, IU Athletics.

Not only will this be the first time the IU Athletics Department is participating in Circle City IN Pride, but it is the first athletics department of any university in the nation to attend a Pride event, said Jon Kitto, secretary of the IU GLBT Alumni Association.

“It was a no-brainer,” said Pat Kraft, senior assistant for Athletics Department marketing. “We don’t see it as anything different. It’s a great opportunity to reach a crowd we haven’t targeted. It’s all in the business to create excitement (for IU Athletics).”

Kraft said he plans to give away T-shirts and posters and sell season tickets June 12 during the Circle City IN Pride’s parade and festival. Indianapolis is just one of the cities throughout the month of June that is celebrating its gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender citizens through festivals and parades.

Kitto said people, especially IU graduates, are genuinely excited by IU’s presence at the event. Kitto also said many high school students want to go to college in New York or California because of their liberal attitudes towards diversity in sexual orientation. However, to be involved in Circle City IN Pride sends an accepting message that will persuade more people to attend IU, Kitto said.

Doug Bauder, coordinator of IU’s GLBT Student Supports Services Office, said that because Bloomington does not have any event rivaling Circle City IN Pride, the office supports the event with manpower and paraphernalia. Bauder and others will be handing out pamphlets about the GLBTSSS Office and buttons that read “Straight but not Narrow” and “Out and Proud” on a background of rainbow colors.

Christy Fox interned at the GLBTSSS office during the 2009-10 academic year and worked its booth during Circle City IN Pride 2009. After setting up a booth, she attempted to get people to join the IU GLBT Alumni Association. She obtained around 30 signatures but was more impressed with the general attitude and acceptance of the entire event. 

“It is one place you can do whatever you want as a gay person,” Fox said. “You can be yourself. You don’t have to overdo it to make friends. You see a lot of familiar faces. It is one big family.” 

Fox said she suggests trying to get to the location of the parade earlier than its 10 a.m. starting time.

Saturday’s events begin with the parade, which includes over 20 floats and 50 walking groups. The festival continues from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. with booths and live performances. 

Bauder said IU hopes to send the message that the University is an accepting place.

“IU welcomes you, no matter who you are,” Bauder said. “This is the message this university is giving.”