Drake takes his place among rap elite

drake

Hip-hop needs a new superstar. Eminem is washed up, Weezy is locked up and Jay-Z isn’t taking many chances. Enter Drake, who has had the rap game buzzing since his “So Far Gone” mixtape hit and is now trying to capitalize on the hype with his first full-length album, “Thank Me Later.”

And for the most part, he nails it.

Oddly, for the most anticipated hip-hop album of 2010, “Thank Me Later” features exactly zero songs that would qualify as singles in today’s radio landscape. Instead, most of the tracks slowly build and sometimes even linger on, giving the album an expanded, open feeling that doesn’t often come from the genre. 

“Shut It Down” is a seven-minute slow jam meant for dark bedrooms and tussles between the sheets as Drake once again proves he can flow just as well as he can sing. 

However, the length and style here doesn’t mean “Later” is without standout tracks, thanks to Drake’s honest lyrics that sketch out his transition from acknowledging his fame (“Over”) to accepting it (“Light Up” featuring Jigga), to finally letting us know he’s here to stay (“Thank Me Now”).

While his lyrics sometimes feel like “a rapper whining about his great life,” Drake sells it honestly. 

He’s not the most obvious choice, but after a few listens of “Thank Me Later,” it’s apparent that Drake is the star hip-hop needs.