Bloomington Photography Club presents 19th-annual exhibition

sofa

The School of Fine Arts Gallery housed the Bloomington Photography Club’s 19th annual exhibition opening reception 7 p.m. May 14.

At this reception, some of the artists were present to casually speak to guests viewing their works. The photographs lining the gallery walls featured diverse works created by Bloomington Photography Club members of Monroe County and surrounding communities.

This year’s exhibit showcased art from 46 different photographers, whose works featured subjects such as wildlife, nature scenes, everyday objects and people, among other things. Black-and-white and color films were also present. Photographs are available for purchase until the exhibition closes Friday, May 21.

Three jurors with professional photography experience selected the photographs in the exhibit. Members can choose to submit up to four of their photographs. Typically, some photographers have one to three photographs exhibited at a time. Each year, the jurors involved in the selection process change. This years jury had three professional photographers from around the state, Mary Ann Carter, R. John Ferguson and Flounder Lee.

Dr. Aina Puce, director of the Imaging Research Facility at IU’s Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, has been a member of the Photography Club for 18 months. This year’s exhibit was the second in which she had two photographs featured.

“This (exhibit) for the club is the highlight of the year, in a way, because we can showcase what people like to do the best,” Puce said. “It’s very exciting because there are so many quality images that it’s a real honor and privilege to actually have one or more of your images included in the show.”

Myron Cole also had some of his favorite photographs in the exhibit. He said he loves to show his work and became involved in the group after viewing the Bloomington Photography Club’s exhibit about five years ago.

“We have everything from novice beginners to professionals,” Cole said. “I’m always trying to improve, and having your work juried — I think it’s kind of a sign if you’re on the right track or not.”