Kahn’s comeback culminates with award

Diving again was all junior Cassidy Kahn wanted. But during the past year, she has gotten more than that.

Kahn’s accomplishments reached their peak for the 2009-10 season when she was awarded the 2010 Thomas A. Brady Comeback Award last week. The award is given to someone who overcame adversity or injury and returned to excel beyond expectations in their respective sport.

After getting the news about the award, Kahn was elated.

“It was this feeling in my stomach that I was really excited,” she said. “But I was kind of like, ‘Wow I never expected to win something for coming back.’”

After coming close to death in a battle with neocrotizing faciitis, a flesh-eating bacteria, Kahn was told she may not walk again, let alone dive. In November, she proved her critics wrong when she took to the diving board in the Hoosierland Invitational.

IU coach Jeff Huber described Kahn as an inspiration to himself and his team. He said that she reminds his team that training is a privilege and something you get to do, not have to do.

The recovery process continues for Kahn even during the offseason. She said she believes she still has a trek ahead of her to get back to where she once was. Right now, however, she said she is doing as well as she can, if not better.

Having gone through such a traumatic experience, Kahn sometimes wishes she could put it behind her, but she said it helps her through tough times in her life now.

In hopes of moving forward with her career and life, she offered some advice to others that may be in her shoes.

“If you love something, don’t let it go, even if someone says ‘No, it’s not possible,’” she said. “They aren’t telling you, you can’t try. You can always try, and you never know what can happen. Determination can go a long way.”