Elements combined with fashion at Epiphany

Epiphany Modeling Troupe

When the forces of nature collide in fashion, the results are sure to be fiery and fun.
This happened at the Epiphany Modeling Troupe’s “Signs of Fashion” show Friday.

Thirty-two models strutted down the walkway in six different scenes sporting clothes from 14 stores around Bloomington, including Pitaya, Haley’s Boutique, Cha Cha and The Limited. The show covered everything from business attire to swim wear.

The models acted out confrontations, interactions and flirtations on the stage, catwalk and even toward the audience. They also performed choreographed dances between their poses and pirouettes on the walkway.

Freshman Jumanah el Shabazz said she came to the show to support her friend but also to get a taste of something new on campus.

“I wanted to support my friend Matthew Kumalo, as well as get something different in the last few weeks of school,” el Shabazz said.

Besides fashion, the show also featured performances from artists including YE Ali as well as raffles and a competition on the catwalk between audience members. Nancy Stockton, director of Counseling and Psychological Services, also came to speak about CAPS and share a moment of silence for Gregory Willoughby.

All the events, from the music to the catwalk competition, came together to create the atmosphere of a professional fashion show. Freshman Victoire Iradukunda said she appreciated the hard work Epiphany put into the show.

“You can see they put a lot of effort into it,” Iradukunda said. “It’s like a real fashion show. It’s very classy. And you can tell (the models are) all comfortable with each other.”

Perhaps the most important thing Signs of Fashion brought to stage was a sense of community and togetherness for the troupe members and the audience.

“That’s one of the greatest things I found when I joined the Epiphany Modeling Troupe: the unity, how we all come together as a family,” freshman and model Ebony Holmes said. “Since I’m away from home I don’t have that family bond that I used to have, but in my troupe I can find it.”