Indiana Daily Student

Boy Scout sex trial progresses

A $1.4 million verdict delivered Tuesday by a jury was based partly on so-called “perversion files” secretly kept by the Boy Scouts of America. The Scouts plan to appeal, arguing the files are outdated and do not reflect current prevention efforts or even past policy.

Patrick Boyle, author of a book about sex abuse in the BSA, said the damages so far are not a huge monetary hit.  But it reminds people about past problems the BSA has had with abusers among leaders and volunteers, and secret files have been kept to identify them.

Keeping secret files on Scoutmasters and volunteers dates to shortly after the BSA’s 1910 founding. Its lawyers said the files helped weed out possible child molesters.
Attorneys for plaintiff Kerry Lewis argued keeping them secret meant parents, children and volunteers were not warned about sexual abuse risk.

Former assistant Scoutmaster Timur Dykes said in ‘83 he had abused 17 Boy Scouts. Despite the admission, Dykes continued to associate with Lewis and other Scouts. Lewis’ parents did not learn the truth about Dykes until he was arrested.

Dykes was later convicted three times of abuse charges involving boys and admitted in a deposition to abusing Lewis.

Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.

Powered by Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2022 Indiana Daily Student