Pop Culture Bracketology: Television, Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Region

jackandhurley

With March Madness upon us, WEEKEND has gone a little bracket crazy. Over the next month, our staff will debate, discuss and argue their way through three 64-team pop culture-centric brackets to determine the best TV series on the air, the best active film director and the best music act of the moment. We will now post the pairings and starting next Monday, March 15, we'll begin weeding out the pretenders and celebrating the contenders. Posts will be updated accordingly.

For our television bracket, we are trying to figure out the best series on the air right now. The four regions are as follows: Drama, Comedy, Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action and Reality/Variety/Talk. Below are the pairings in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action Region. Other pairings can be found in the right sidebar.

1. "Lost" (ABC) vs.
16. "Warehouse 13" (SyFy)

WEEKEND picked one of these as the best series of the decade, so surely the other has a good chance.

8. "Chuck" (NBC) vs.
9. "Dollhouse" (FOX)

Two little-watched series with great writing and passionate fans. Too bad only one them survived low ratings; which will survive the first round?

5. "The Vampire Diaries" (CW) vs.
12. "Smallville" (CW)

Old-school WB vs. new-school CW, go!

4. "Burn Notice" (USA) vs.
13. "Caprica" (SyFy)

It would be cool if Michael Westen had to help a Cylon in a case.

6. "Fringe" (FOX) vs.
11. "FlashForward" (ABC)

Two series touted as replacements for "Lost" that quite haven't hit that mark.

3. "24" (FOX) vs.
14. "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" (Starz)

Jack Bauer would fit in nicely in the "Spartacus" world right? Violence, lots of swearing and nudity. I think he'd do the nudity; it'd make it easy to torture.

7. "Heroes" (NBC) vs.
10. "Supernatural" (CW)

No other series are as good at saying exactly what the series is about in the title like these two are. Well, maybe.

2. "True Blood" (HBO) vs.
15. "V" (ABC)

Lots of humans-breeding-with-others in these two series, which is just wonderful.