New studio to change Third-Jordan intersection

Jacobs Music Studio New

The University West Apartments on Third Street will be demolished later this year to make room for a new studio for the Jacobs School of Music.

The IU board of trustees approved the design, and the 85,000 square-foot Studio Building will be constructed on the northeast corner of Third Street and Jordan Avenue for an estimated $44 million.

The approved design has two elements. In addition to the studio, there will also be an expansion of the Musical Arts Center. The building will be extended to create more rehearsal space.

Thomas A. Morrison, vice president for capital projects and facilities, said because the Jacobs School of Music is one of the best in the world, the new studio will be a great asset.

“This new facility will greatly enhance that reputation by providing a state-of-the-art facility that will provide additional large rehearsal spaces, classrooms, faculty studios and practice rooms,” said Townsend Plant, director of admissions and financial aid for the school, “along with cutting edge technological capabilities and excellent acoustics that will enable the school to continue to provide the best possible learning and performance environment for our students.”

Plant said he believes the building is reinforcing the school as a leader in collegiate music study in the 21st century.

“This project will increase the number of major facilities available to students and teachers,” said Alain Barker, director of marketing and publicity for Jacobs School of Music. “We’ve needed that for a very long time.”

Plant said students’ main concern is the availability of practice space within the school. Sophomore Aspen McArthur, who plays the viola, agrees.

“We don’t have enough practice rooms,” she said. “I’m very glad the new building will have more and hopefully really good ones. It’s exciting.”