world

Hill says he'll vote 'yes'

INDIANAPOLIS — U.S. Rep. Baron Hill said Saturday that he will vote in favor of health care reform legislation being considered by Congress because the measure addresses his concerns about taxpayer-funded abortions and deficit reduction.

The Indiana Democrat, who voted for a similar health care bill when the House first considered legislation last year, had stated concerns about abortion language in the Senate’s version and about the bill’s impact on the deficit.

“I have thoroughly reviewed the language prohibiting federal funding of abortion services and my conscience is clear that both reform bills accomplish the same goal — no taxpayer funds can be used to pay for elective abortions,” Hill said in a statement.

Hill also said the legislation would end insurance companies’ ability to deny people coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

“This reform version covers more uninsured Americans than the respective House and Senate bills, while also reducing the deficit more effectively,” He said.

Hill said he will be proud to vote for the legislation.

Fellow Democratic Rep. Joe Donnelly is the only one among Indiana’s nine congressmen who hasn’t said how he’ll vote. All four Republicans oppose the measure, which the U.S. House is expected to consider Sunday.

On Friday, Indiana Democratic U.S. Rep. Brad Ellsworth said he will vote for the bill and was swayed to support it in part because it maintains restrictions on federal funding for abortion.

The two-term congressman, who is running for the Senate seat being vacated by retiring Democratic Sen. Evan Bayh, had been under pressure from groups on both sides of the health care debate as the vote nears.