A second helping of timelessness

she and him

The whimsical voice of Zooey Deschanel continues to charm on She & Him’s second album, “Volume Two.” M. Ward continues to be a mostly silent partner on the vocals side, but his stylistic contributions to the album are audible.

Even when she mourns a relationship (a theme on “Don’t Look Back” and “Thieves”), her voice doesn’t bring the mood down.

The songs are effortless, catchy — this is a sunshine record that you can listen to anytime you’re in need of a pick-me-up.

The cheerfulness of Deschanel’s voice softens the blow on many of the album’s lyrics, including “In the Sun,” which, unlike its title, doesn’t sound so sunny with lyrics like “My baby, my darling / I’ve been thinking of leaving.”

The ’50s retro sound of She & Him glistens throughout, especially on “Riding in My Car,” one of the few songs on the album that prominently features M. Ward’s vocals.
Deschanel’s ukulele skills help the Hawaiian-tinged “Me and You” and “I’m Gonna Make It Better” sound like beach music, but that doesn’t make it disposable. Each listen reveals a new layer, a deliberate and complex aspect to each song.

And when Deschanel dispenses truths like, “The world can be quiet when you’re up too late” on “Sing,” the lyrics make an impression. The simplicity of her words lets their meaning shine through without overbearing production and unnecessary effects.
The album ends with “I Can Hear Music,” a love song and a fitting end to an album whose lyrics can seem downtrodden, but the optimistic tone of the final song lifts up the listener.

There’s a timelessness to the album; it doesn’t reveal its age, and if anything, is more poodle skirts and drive-in theaters than hipster plaid.