Students game for Haiti

Madden NFL 10 tournament helps relief effort

Haiti

Sounds of the new Madden NFL 10 video game mixed with the aroma of free food provided by Bucetto’s Pizza & Pasta Restaurant  on Thursday at the Informatics East building as students came to compete in the 2010 Haiti Relief Videogame Tournament.

Iota Phi Theta fraternity and EA Games brand representative and junior Latif Alam watched as attendees competed against each other in hopes of winning a cash prize and a copy of the new Madden game. 

T-shirts were liberally handed out as guests enjoyed pizza and cherry cokes while watching their peers try their luck at the Madden competition.

Freshman Evan McGowan attended the tournament and said that for only a dollar, it seemed like a good idea and that the pizza and football provided at the event were “great.” 

As for the event’s charitable donation to Haiti, McGowan simply said, “they need all the help they can get.”

Attendee Derek Brown added to the sentiment by expressing his support in raising money for people in need. 

Alam said the event had a good turnout and that the proceeds raised from the entry fee will assist Haiti in rebuilding its infrastructure.

“I feel like all the money will help,” said Alam. “Haiti has a chance to come out stronger.”