Graduates turn to family for support

With the recession affecting the availability of jobs in today’s market, it can be increasingly difficult for some college students to find work immediately following graduation.

As a result, many recent graduates are turning to friends and family for help.

Moving back home or with friends is rent-free for some, and often basic amenities are provided.

Senior Holly Wegmann, who plans to graduate in May, said she plans on moving in with her aunt in Texas.

“I just wanted to try something completely different and move someplace warm, so it was lucky for me that I had family in Texas,” Wegmann said. “It doesn’t hurt that it’s rent-free as well.”

Senior Christopher Roberts, who plans to graduate in December, said his post-graduation plans depend on whether or not – and where – he finds a job, among other things.

“The rent to my apartment is relatively cheap, and I know the landlord,” Roberts said. “So provided I get a job in Bloomington, I’ll probably end up just staying here. There is a possibility I may move down to Florida and start a business there, and my girlfriend said she might study at Illinois, so Champaign is also a possibility.”

Roberts said he has family members living in Florida who are willing to provide housing until he has a stable income.

He also said he recommends that prospective graduates looking to move out on their
own plan ahead at least a year and look up realtors and classified ads.

Should a graduate choose to move back home to recover and reorganize after graduation, he or she should communicate, save and ultimately plan to move out, said Kristen Fischer, author of “Ramen Noodles, Rent and Resumes: An After-College Guide to Life,” in her blog.

“One of the biggest advantages to moving home is being able to save,” she said.
“While your other friends are dumping all of their newly earned money, you’ll be able to
pay Mom and Dad a fraction of the cost.”