Flowers further fight against cancer with Daffodil Days

Giving flowers can do more than put a smile on someone’s face: It can help the fight against cancer and bring hope to patients and survivors.

The American Cancer Society’s Daffodil Days campaign is accepting orders for daffodils until March 12 and will deliver the flowers March 24. 

The society is selling daffodils by the bunch as well as the Gift of Hope, which will send the daffodils anonymously to a patient in a local health care facility. 

“For our cancer survivors, the funds raised through Daffodil Days provide hope because that money goes to the fight against cancer,” said Andrea French Curtis, Monroe County community representative for the American Cancer Society. 

The daffodil was chosen to represent the cancer patients and survivors for which they are sold.

“Daffodils represent hope and renewal, it’s the first flower we see in the spring,” explained Mary Ann Miller, lead coordinator for Daffodil Days on the IU campus.  
Junior Nicole Hicks decided to volunteer for Daffodil Days. 

“I think it’s a really good cause,” Hicks said. “Raising money for finding a cure for cancer is an important thing for the world today.”

Miller explained that cancer is a relevant concern. 

“Everybody you talk to seems they know somebody who has had cancer,” Miller said.  
She encourages students to get involved.

“This is one little thing people can do that can make a difference,” Miller said.