Feb. 17 Jordan River Forum: Guest column by Justin Kingsolver

Justin D. Kingsolver
is the presidential candidate for the Kirkwood ticket.

On Feb. 2, the Indiana University Student Association Student Body Congress made dramatic changes to policies governing IUSA elections. Chiefly among these, the Congress instituted a campaign spending limit for student elections — an act that will dramatically change the spirit and tenor of our electoral process.

Under the leadership of IUSA member of Congress Andrew Hahn, a large majority (30-9) of members present voted in favor of the long-sought spending limit, which, for the 2010 elections, will be $5,000 per ticket.

Compelling arguments for both sides — both pro-limit and anti-limit — ensued during the debate over the spending cap. Anti-limit members of Congress contended that capping campaign spending would prevent information about the elections from spreading to all students on campus, and that, in order to increase knowledge about IUSA, campaigns should be able to spend an unlimited amount of money. Those members in favor of the limit, myself included, cited the general sense of fairness fostered by leveling the playing field between different campaigns. This level playing field allows all students — not just those with the ability to shell out $10,000 to run for a student government position — to seek a chance to make a difference at IU. There are many more worthy causes for students to concentrate upon in their fundraising efforts — the disaster-relief fund in Haiti, for one — than a campaign for student government.

I, as the presidential candidate on the Kirkwood Ticket, strongly support the Student Body Congress’ decision to limit this campaign spending. The Kirkwood Ticket believes campaigns for IUSA should be focused on policy proposals, diverse student involvement and engagement of the student body. Campaigns are — or at least, should be — about ideas, and personal wealth or fundraising capability should be irrelevant.

I was deeply saddened to hear representatives from the competing ticket — including their candidates for president and vice president for Congress — arguing against campaign spending limits. It became quite clear that the iUnity Ticket’s strategy consisted of winning by outspending all of their competition, whereas the Kirkwood strategy is focused on outperforming our competition — by speaking to over 200 student groups, gathering input from all corners of our University community and building a strong coalition of diverse student leaders.

Every student deserves an opportunity to lead, especially at a university that stresses the importance of student involvement and engagement. The IUSA Congress’ passage of a $5,000 campaign spending limit gives all students the opportunity to pursue leadership in IUSA. As the presidential candidate for the Kirkwood Ticket, and more importantly as a member of IU Bloomington’s student body, I applaud the Congress’ efforts because I know their actions will result in the enfranchisement of a new brand of student leaders, a core principle of the Kirkwood Ticket.