Expect a tight contest between IU, Northwestern

Basket Ball

Tom Crean’s Hoosiers are looking to bounce back from heartbreaking losses against two of the Big Ten’s best. The losses came by a combined total of five points and it’s certainly gotten some fans asking, "What if freshman guard Maurice Creek wasn’t injured?"

Northwestern fans might be asking a similar question considering the team is off to its best start in 51 years and is two wins shy of matching its school record of 17 wins. The Wildcats are 15-7 and needing at least a few more wins for NCAA Tournament consideration – all this without star senior Kevin Coble (2nd team All-Big Ten in 2008-09) who is out for the year after having foot surgery.

The Wildcats are only a game ahead of the Hoosiers in the Big Ten standings, but they have done a number of things IU wasn’t able to accomplish this year – win at Michigan and record home victories against Purdue and Illinois.

Sunday’s game will game pit two of the hottest players against each other. Verdell Jones and John Shurna, both sophomores from Illinois, have been among the league’s best players in Big Ten play. Shurna is first in the conference in scoring in Big Ten games (19.6 points), while Jones is seventh (17.6 points). Shurna scored 31 and 15 in his last two outings, while Jones has posted consecutive 22-point performances.

Although they play different positions, two of the top contenders for Big Ten Freshman of the Year will be in action on Sunday. IU’s Christian Watford is averaging 12.2 points and 6 rebounds (12 points and 5.9 rebounds in Big Ten games), while 6-foot-5 Northwestern wing Drew Crawford is averaging 11.4 points and 4.2 rebounds (13.7 points and 4.6 rebounds) in Big Ten games).

IU has looked like a much different team since the Iowa loss and is ready for a win. The team’s ability to bounce back and the Hoosiers’ will to win could ultimately decide this one. Expect it to come down to the final minutes, but I’ll give the nod to Northwestern as the home team.

Northwestern 70, IU 67