Conductors actually matter. Seriously.

Conductor

Any ensemble contains a group of talented musicians who dedicate their time to mastering their instruments. 

But what about the conductor? If it takes years of practice and dedication to master the performance of a musical instrument, why is the person who stands in front of the ensemble waving his or her hands and keeping time so important? Can’t we all keep a beat?

The conductor actually has a larger role than simply keeping time, says Stephen Pratt, Jacobs School of Music professor and conductor of the IU Wind Ensemble.

“In reality, if an ensemble doesn’t keep time by itself, it’s not a very good ensemble,” Pratt says. “The job the conductor has in working with an ensemble in rehearsing is to try to establish the basic parameters of tempo and rhythm and all that goes into making a piece come alive.”

In other words, Pratt says the conductor defines the stylistic interpretation of a piece of music, and then elicits that interpretation from the performers. Interpretations range anywhere from the concept of the piece’s tempo to the balance of volumes and sounds, as well as the intensity and overall mood of the notes.Pratt also says the conductor plays a psychological role.

“The conductor sets the mood for the rehearsal of the ensemble and eventually for the performance by how they interact with the players,” he says. “If there is a dictatorial leadership, then you’re going to get a certain kind of response from your ensemble. If there is more of a fellowship kind of leadership, you’re going to get another kind of response.”

Benjamin Hoffman, a sophomore violin student, says the role of the conductor also changes slightly at different levels of experience. For example, at the amateur level, the conductor becomes responsible for musical instruction as well as musical interpretation. 

In the best cases, Hoffman says the conductor uses a general understanding of each instrument to guide the players through difficult pieces.

“A real conductor brings musicians together,” he says.

While conductors come from all musical backgrounds, Pratt says they need to understand each instrument in the ensemble.

“The conductor has to be knowledgeable about every instrument, about music history, and about music theory,” Pratt says. “In other words, the conductor has to be a generalist who specializes in everything.”