You don't have to be good

You just have to be loud

Students have plenty of opportunities in Bloomington to let out their inner Whitney Houston, belt it like Beyoncé, or sing the praises of Margaritaville like Jimmy Buffett…or at least make an amusing and shameless attempt during karaoke.

Several Bloomington bars, clubs, and restaurants dedicate one or more nights a week to karaoke, providing some of the best and worst in musical entertainment. Each venue has its own way of hosting karaoke, offering students a variety of experiences.

Bluebird Nightclub

216 N. Walnut St.

Every Monday night, the Bluebird hosts karaoke on its main stage. Owner Dave Kubiak says that the music venue, which brings in both local acts and nationally known musicians, offers karaoke-goers in Bloomington a unique atmosphere.

"At Bluebird, you're up there on the stage and you have the PAs behind you," he says, referring to the speaker set. "It gives you a feeling of being a rock star."

Not a fan of singing alone? Kubiak says during the three years Bluebird has offered karaoke, he has seen group performers in addition to solo acts.

Sushi Bar

2522 E. 10th St.
For those who would rather not sing in front of a large crowd, visit one of the karaoke rooms at Sushi Bar. The Korean restaurant opens the rooms to small groups on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights from midnight - 2 a.m., turning a night out with a few friends into a private concert.

Manager Andy Chan says he has seen his fair share of good and bad performances throughout the years. The restaurant's karaoke machines feature mostly Korean songs, but also have a selection of American and Chinese tunes as well.

"We update the songs in the machine about every two months," he says.

On campus

Check rps.indiana.edu for locations
Bloomington may have plenty of karaoke events for those 21 and older, but there are also opportunities for students of all ages to take a turn at the mic.

Sarah Nagy, director of programming for Residential Programs and Services, says that resident assistants hold karaoke events to bring floormates together in the dorms.

She also suggests that students looking for something to do on Friday and Saturday nights can attend karaoke at the Hoosier Den from 10 p.m. - 2 a.m.

"I think we have a following of people who like to do it, but can't get into the venue," Nagy says.

She says that students don't have to be Grammy-worthy singers.

"Knowing the people we typically have, they're not all stars of the Jacobs School of Music,” she says. “It's very grassroots."