What's the rush? Fans' decision to storm court questioned

Minnesota fans

When IU fans last left the stands of Assembly Hall in the 2006-07 season, a D.J. White-led team had defeated the No. 2 ranked Wisconsin Badgers.

Sunday night, a very different Hoosier program saw fans rush out of their seats and onto Branch McCracken Court when IU pulled out an 81-78 overtime win against the unranked Minnesota Golden Gophers.

In the days since IU’s second conference win, fans have been bashed in the media and questions have swirled regarding the standards of IU basketball. Hoosier followers and players have been split on whether charging toward the hardwood was the right move.

Asked if the rush of fans from their seats to the floor of Assembly Hall was warranted, sophomore guard Verdell Jones wavered on his answer after Sunday’s game.

“If the fans tried to do what they want, but I felt like it was a game that we didn’t need to,” Jones said, adding that he was a little surprised by the fans’ decision.

The past few seasons have changed the perception of IU basketball. IU coach Tom Crean is famous for referring to IU’s current rebuilding as a “process.”

IU sophomore Rafe Kaplan said he does attend IU games, but didn’t seem sensitive to the situation Crean and his players are currently working through.

“We were up by at least 10,” he said. “And me and my friend had no confidence in us at all. For us to beat any team I guess is good, considering we don’t really have any faith in them.”

Not all students have become as dejected as Kaplan, but wins in the past few seasons have been scarce. The Hoosiers won six games all of last season, including only one conference victory.

IU is now 8-9 this year, with a 2-3 mark in the Big Ten. For a new generation of season ticket holders, the Minnesota win might have been one of the biggest moments they’ve seen in the hallowed stadium.

“I think it shows our enthusiasm and pride in our basketball team,” IU junior Ed Reardon said. “We’re building a team again, to get the IU reputation back. But I thought it was cool. I thought it was an exciting win.”

Still, Kaplan said the Gophers weren't the high profile team to bring IU fans down the aisles.

“It would have been a bigger deal if Minnesota itself was better, if they were ranked,” Kaplan said. “They were a pretty decent team. I remember hearing that they were good. So, yeah, it’s great that we won, but there’s no way it was any substantial game.”