Sex should not be a selfish pursuit

I just read your article entitled “New research highlights health benefits of having sex.” It is an abomination for several reasons.

First, the article promotes a completely self-centered view of sex, in which one’s own personal health concerns are the biggest issue, as if we need one more justification for our culture’s obsession with sexual immorality.

Sex is relational, and it is meant to be contained within a covenantal marriage that honors God in its purity. It was designed by God to be an intimate representation of the covenant bond that God has made with His people. And the bond between a husband and wife is to represent the love that there is between Jesus Christ and the universal Christian Church, his bride.

Sex is about giving to one’s spouse, not about our own personal benefits from it. If all we focus on is our own pleasure and health, we will never be satisfied because our fleshly pleasure is a bottomless pit, and no matter how healthy we are, we will die.

Sex-crazed college students don’t need to be told that “sex is good for your health, too!” It is not a surprising fact, and it will not change how college students are currently acting. So, the article is completely useless in all respects, except for one – that it validates young people (who call themselves adults) in their sinful lifestyles of fornication, adultery, pornography, homosexuality and masturbation.

Second, the article ended with the warnings of Jennifer Bass, director of communications for the Kinsey Institute, that we should “be wary of generalized claims.” The title of this article, “New research highlights health benefits of having sex,” is just that – a generalized claim.  Because of the nature of the article’s exploitation of a general scientific claim, it only serves to prove Bass’ earlier statement, “Sex sells. News media love to pick up on things like this and jump to conclusions that maybe even the researcher hasn’t come to.”

Well, maybe [the author] didn’t realize this, but [she] condemned [her]self and the Indiana Daily Student by including this quote in the article. The article is useless and offensive, but I’m sure people read it because the word “SEX” was printed in 400 pt. font at the top, on the front page.

Alex McNeilly
IU junior