Golden Globes: Film

Brian Welk shares his thoughts on Sunday's film awards

camerongoldenglobes

The Golden Globes have never been much for importance or competition, but as always, the winners last night, providing only a few surprises, have offered a renewed perspective on the upcoming Oscar race.

“Avatar” was a given for Best Drama, as it is the popular choice, and it goes to show that the film will be a front-runner for the Academy Award. “The Hangover,” which won for Best Comedy, is also a popular choice, but it’s interesting that a purely popcorn film could actually claim this prize. What that means for the 10 Best Picture nominees I can’t say.

Jeff Bridges is a logical choice for Best Actor, but “Crazy Heart” fell under the radar quite a bit and yet he still won. He’s definitely a front-runner. As for Robert Downey Jr., he did not deserve to win for Best Actor in a Comedy over at the very least Michael Stuhlbarg and Matt Damon. With no real Oscar bid, his win doesn’t mean a thing.

Sandra Bullock upset all of her big Oscar contenders for Best Actress in a Drama, save for Meryl Streep, who won for Best Actress in a comedy for “Julie & Julia.” Streep could come away with Oscar number three, or Bullock could play the dark horse and claim her first.

Christoph Waltz and Mo’nique: No surprise there, and nicely done. Especially since their competition won’t change from now until the Oscars.

James Cameron’s victory for Best Director only means that the winner of the Best Director Oscar will share the Best Picture spot as well, or vice versa. His chances are improved, but I think he’s still a dark horse against his ex-wife Kathryn Bigelow.

“Up in the Air” is a worthy winner for Best Screenplay if there ever was one, and both it and something equally worthy will win when the award gets split into Adapted and Original.

Congrats to “Up’s” two wins for Best Animated Feature and Best Score.

“Crazy Heart” won for original song, beating out some big names (U2 and Paul McCartney) but some not so big songs.

And Michael Haneke’s “The White Ribbon” won for Best Foreign Feature. As one of 2009’s critic favorites, expect to hear of this film again very soon.