‘The Nutcracker’ to show at MAC

Nutcracker

Visions of sugarplums will sparkle from the stage of the Musical Arts Center this weekend, as the IU Opera and Ballet Theater opens its annual production of “The Nutcracker” on Friday.

“It is fun to be part of such a holiday tradition,” junior Caitlin Kirschenbaum said.

Kirschenbaum will perform as the Sugar Plum Fairy for the first time in her IU ballet career, though she has performed in choreographer Michael Vernon’s production for three years now. 

However, many dancers in the ballet, such as junior Vincent Brewer, have had multiple roles in past “Nutcracker” productions at IU.

“In previous years, I have been a mouse, a party parent, Spanish, Chinese and Snow King,” Brewer said. “This year I am doing Cavalier, Trepak, Flower Couple, Doll and Drosselmeyer.”

Main dancers in the production take turns in the major roles in each performance.

The story itself is based off of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s tale, “The Nutcracker and the Mouse King,” which was later adapted for ballet by Alexandre Dumas. 

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky also composed a score for the adaptation, and the ballet began its journey to popularity.

In the tale, a young girl named Clara receives a nutcracker doll from her godfather at a family Christmas party. The doll is broken, and her godfather fixes it. After the party, Clara has strange visions of the nutcracker and mice fighting before the nutcracker prevails and shows wondrous things to Clara. 

Later, the young girl meets the Sugar Plum Fairy, who dances for her.

The dancers started rehearsals for the production in mid-October.

Junior Grace Reeves said she enjoys being a part of the Nutcracker every year.

“I love it because it is fun to learn a lot of different parts and build on it each year,” Reeves said.

She will also be performing as the Sugar Plum Fairy for the first time. In addition, Reeves will dance as the Lead Mirliton and Lead Waltz.

“It is good that everyone gets a chance to dance different roles, but there is pressure because you only get one chance,” she said.

Reeves said she enjoys the experience and appreciates the lessons from rehearsals.

“I have loved learning the Sugar Plum because it is new and requires a lot of control in my movement,” Reeves said.

Kirschenbaum said she is looking forward to her chance to perform, even though the journey to the stage has been challenging.

“The rehearsal process can be exhausting, but all the hard work pays off when you get to do what you love on stage in front of a large group of people,” Kirschenbaum said.