world

School’s out for summer

It’s always difficult to regain focus after Thanksgiving break and push on through the end of the semester. Fortunately, here in Chile, the semester is already complete.

Well, it is complete for most students, anyway.

My last two classes of the semester took place on Thanksgiving Day. It was the only time in my life that I have had class on Thanksgiving.

However, I suppose it is understandable because it is obviously not a Chilean holiday. That week in November concluded the last week of class for the university. The following week was for final exams.

Luckily, the policy on final exams here is different than at home as well, the general rule being that you only have to take the exam if you are failing the course.  

Failing, in Chile, means getting a four or lower in the course. The Chilean grading sc ale is out of seven, not out of 100 percent. Of course you can still take the exam if you are not satisfied with your grade and you think the exam will help you improve.

However, many students choose to start their summer vacation early rather than take
unnecessary exams.

One of the greatest aspects of being below the equator is that the seasons are the opposite of at home. So while normally Christmas is in winter, here in Chile summer has just begun. Now that exams are done, everyone is headed to the beach to begin their vacations. It certainly doesn’t seem like December when you can spend every afternoon swimming in the ocean.

Chile has its own holidays in December, including one very important one before Christmas. They are currently preparing for the celebration of the Immaculate Conception, a celebration of the Virgin Mary.

The festivities last the full week up to Dec. 8 and often include parades and other events. However, the main portion of the holiday includes people visiting their churches and filling the altars with flowers to honor Mary.

Dec. 8 completes the celebration, and this is when children receive their first communion. This religious holiday is just the beginning preparations for the next holiday, Christmas.

Even though it is summer here, Christmas is still coming. It can be seen throughout the city as stores begin to fill with toys and holiday decorations.

Some families have even begun to put up Christmas trees, while others have put up holiday lights. Yet in many houses it still cannot been seen at all.

It is more and more visible every day, but I still cannot quite believe it.

How can the holiday season have begun already? Yet, I look forward to experiencing Christmas in a foreign country and being able to compare the holidays celebrations between my two homes.