Hoosiers to compete in 3 meets this weekend

Swimmers

IU’s No. 13 women’s swimming and diving team and No. 8 men’s swimming and diving team both have busy weekends ahead of them.

In their final meets before the new year and the start of the Big Ten season, members of the team will be split, competing in three different meets.

This weekend presents a rare occasion where the team will have to separate, IU coach Ray Looze said.

Five of the top women swimmers and four of the top male swimmers have been in Federal Way, Wash., since Thursday and will stay there through Saturday to compete in the U.S. Short Course Nationals.

The American swimmers will look for the opportunity to make the team for April’s Short Course World Tournament in Dubai.

Sophomore breaststroker Allysa Vavra is one of the swimmers competing at nationals. She said she hopes to do well personally, but knows that the team’s presence at the meet makes a big impact.

“It attracts people to IU’s swimming program,” she said. “People will want to come here because our program is successful in NCAAs and on a national standpoint.”

After the first round of preliminary races Thursday, swimmers Kate Fesenko, Aaron Opell and Vavra qualified for finals in the 200-meter individual medley.
Nikki White, Titus Knight, Tyler Shedron and Jimmy Barbiere will compete in finals for the 500-meter freestyle.

The divers will be in Columbus, Ohio, for the Ohio State Invite.

The remaining swimmers will travel to participate in a dual meet against Kentucky.

“We are taking a short-term hit for long-term success,” Looze said. “The presence at nationals is important from a recruiting standpoint.”

With the top swimmers from the men’s and women’s side not available against Kentucky, IU becomes the underdog.

“People that don’t normally travel will get the opportunity,” Looze said. “Hopefully we will develop some depth.”

The swimmers competing in Kentucky will have to work to overcome their inexperience to earn a victory.

Sophomore freestyle swimmer Marguax Farrell knows the team will need to depend on swimmers who don’t normally get the opportunity to be on the
top relays.

“We have to take initiative upon ourselves and not expect others to do it for us,” she said.