world

Fists up for Chile’s presidential elections

SANTIAGO, Chile - In one corner, we have Jorge Arrate, white hair standing on end and full of energy, representing the Communist Party of Chile.

Across from him stands Eduardo Frei, looking sharp with his graying hair slicked back, representing the Christian Democrat Party.

In this boxing ring, there are not two but four combatants – a surprise to the U.S. onlookers.

In the third corner, we have Marco Enriquez-Ominami, receiving a cry of support from the crowd as the popular Independent.

And finally, in the fourth corner, we have Sebastian Pinera, stunning the crowd with his smile and thumbs-up sign, representing the National Renewal Party.

The whistle is about to be blown and all of the candidates have their punching gloves on, trying to win the support of the Chilean crowd.

The 2009 presidential election “boxing match” is drawing nearer and nearer.

Discussions are getting more heated, cars with megaphones can be seen announcing support for candidates and stickers, papers and posters are impossible to avoid while walking down the streets of Santiago.

On Dec. 13, Chileans will vote for one of the four candidates to replace current president Michelle Bachelet.

Polls have named Pinera as the popular vote right now, with Frei trailing slightly behind.

However, in an interview with La Nacion, Carla Lehmann, a former 15-year member of the CEP surveying agency, said these polls are not necessarily an accurate prediction of what will actually happen in the election in December.

This is in large part because a good portion of the poorer population cannot take part in the survey. This cuts visible support for la Concertacion, which is supporting Frei in this election.

Lehmann also mentioned that although Ominami has not had the support like Frei and Pinera in these polls, it does not mean that he has no chance in the upcoming election.

She goes on to say that she thinks the overwhelming amount of support for Ominami, a young candidate whose only past political experience includes being a deputy and proposing many bills that passed, shows that Chile is looking for a change.

By contrast, Pinera, Frei and Arrate all have significantly more experience on their political resumes.

Frei served as the president of Chile from 1994 to 2000, was the president of the Senate from 2006 to 2008 and is currently the senator of Los Rios.

Pinera ran for president in 2005 against Bachelet, and the election was so close they had to have a secondary election in January between the two.

He was also elected as a member of the Senate and was head of Hernan Buchi´s presidential campaign in 1989.

Pinera would be the first billionaire to be president in Chile if elected.   

Finally, Arrate served as minister under both former presidents Patricio Aylwin and Eduardo Frei.

Before this, between 1973 and 1987, he lived in exile during the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet and served as the secretary of the Committee of Chilean Exiles.

The citizens of Chile are eagerly anticipating Dec. 13, the deciding day for who will be the next leader of the Republic of Chile.