Crean reaches 200th win

IU-Pittsburgh Men's Basketball

After IU’s 74-64 win against Pittsburgh in Madison Square Garden, IU coach Tom Crean grabbed his brother-in-law, Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh.

“Best halftime speech ever,” he said. “I’ve never seen them fire out of the locker room like that.”

Harbaugh was just one of many on hand to see Crean’s 200th win. The past two seasons, though, haven’t done much to help Crean’s overall win column.

He said last season put some doubt in his mind as to whether he would reach the milestone.

“I left Marquette and you know we had a lot of wins, and all of a sudden we get into last year,” he said. “I wasn’t sure 200 was ever going to come. It’s a great feeling.”  

Crean’s win came on the biggest stage of his coaching career at IU. The Hoosiers faced a team that had received votes in the top 25 only a week ago. And it came just before a Saturday bout with No. 4 Kentucky.

Crean’s coaching philosophy came in when he talked about the preparation for that game. He said the time put in would help his team relish the win and move forward.

“They needed to see why they practiced twice on Thanksgiving, why they do individual instructions, why the demands are the way that they are,” Crean said. “I think they’ll be able to build. This will help springboard us to other things.”

When asked about the milestone, Crean deflected the attention from himself. Instead, he took a moment to think about all of the players he coached before and reflect on all of the coaches he had served under.

“It makes me think about those guys I got a chance to coach,” he said. “Like Brian Barone: he was there for the first win, he’s there for 200. Tim Buckley was there for the first win. I’ve had the chance to be involved with so many, so many good people that are now my friends, and so many good coaches that are now my peers.”

Although dwelling on the past, Crean focused in on the present as well. He affirmed his confidence in the coaching staff that helped guide IU to its win on Tuesday.

“It’s a great feeling to be in this profession and know that I’ve been involved with a lot of really good people,” he said. “And the group I have now is second to none.”

The questions kept coming, but Crean didn’t dwell on his own No. 200 or glare at the gloss of reaching another tier in the coaching profession.

He said he was more interested in applying it toward the future of his team.

“It’s going to be really fun to have some teachable moments after a win,” he said.