A word from the police

IU Police Department Capt. Jerry Minger clears up transportation myths and gives his take on how to move around campus.

According to state law, bikes should stay on the roadway.
“What winds up being illegal is impeding the flow of pedestrian traffic,” Minger says.
While it’s possible that someone could get a ticket or even get arrested for riding on the sidewalk, Minger says it is not likely. He compares it to a football game: No one likes the referee who makes every call.

Forget what your grade-school crossing guard taught you: Pedestrians do not always have the right of way, even at a crosswalk.
“People are brought up to think pedestrians have the right of way, but they don’t always,” Minger says.
This means jumping out in front of a car is impeding traffic, which is illegal. Indiana state law says pedestrians are prohibited from leaving the curb if they are to “walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.”
So what do you need to remember? It is illegal to get in the way. Minger says it’s best for everyone to be aware of his or her surroundings and — hold on a second — look both ways.

Exactly where are those bike paths on campus?
According to the city of Bloomington’s Web site, there are bike paths marked with signs on Seventh Street, Union Street, Jordan Avenue, and Fee Lane. Third Street and Tenth Street, two of IU’s busiest streets, do not have marked bike paths.