sports men's soccer

Ofori Sarkodie earns 2nd academic honor

Sarkodie

Ofori Sarkodie has been named to the Academic All-Big Ten team. He was a preseason second-team All-American.

And now he has one more accolade to beside his name.

The senior back is one of 11 players to be named to ESPN the Magazine’s All-Academic District 5 team.

Sarkodie has started every game since his sophomore year and has seen the field plenty during his time as a Hoosier, but Sarkodie also works hard off the field.

“I really just take a lot of time for my studies and take a lot of pride in it,” Sarkodie said. “It feels good to know that I’m being appreciated for working hard.”

Off the pitch, the exercise science major has a GPA of more than 3.5. On the field, Sarkodie has led his defense to six shutouts. Sarkodie said he tries to show his teammates the importance of their studies.

“You can be just as famous in your education as you are as a soccer player,” Sarkodie said. “A lot of these guys are well-known around campus, but being known for your academics is just as important.”

His efforts have not gone unnoticed in the locker room.

“Ofori is a hard worker,” sophomore midfielder Tyler McCarroll said. “He’s taking care of business on and off the field. That’s something I’ve always admired about him that he steps it up in the game but he’s also getting it done in the classroom.”

Along with juggling being one of the captains of the soccer team, defending a backfield and excelling his classes, Sarkodie is trying to lead his .500 team to an NCAA berth.
After a 1-0 overtime loss to Ohio State, Sarkodie was still positive about the rest of the 2009 road.

“I’m really just trying to keep the guys’ spirits up and let them know that all the guys believe in them, the coaches still believe in them and that when we step on the field, we got to exhibit a lot of confidence,” he said. “You’ve got to put the last game behind you and focus on what’s next.”