Kiva to be renovated over winter break

Health food based restaurant Kiva, located on the lobby level of the Indiana Memorial Union below Burger King, will close on Dec. 11 for finals week to begin renovations, said Steve Mangan, general manager of Dining Services at the IMU.

Kiva will undergo interior renovation, update its menu and eventually add a patio.

The restaurant normally closes during finals week because of a lack of business, Mangan said, and will reopen after the renovation is completed around the end of January.

“We just think it’s tired,” he said. “It needs an update. We want to build a focus on fresh, local, sustainably produced products, and it’s time to do it.”

Mangan said improvements to the restaurant will include changing the wall treatments, enhancing lighting and upgrading buffets, service equipment, tables and chairs. With the improvements, the flow of service will be smoother, he said.

Employees will be able to prepare foods quicker and serve customers more efficiently, he said.

Along with the reconstruction, Mangan said Kiva will also include new, healthy items. A goal of the renovations is to create a connection between Kiva and Sugar & Spice, which now offers more local and organic products, Mangan said.

“We want to keep those salad bars stocked and healthy,” he said, “and focus on the vegetarian menu that we’ve had down there.”

Construction on the patio will start in the spring, Mangan said. The current plan is to take out the row of bushes in front of the windows facing Dunn Meadow, he said, and put in a large concrete pad.

“We’re trying to increase the traffic off the Woodlawn bus stop and bring students into Kiva, Burger King and Starbucks,” he said.

Senior Danielle White said the changes are not going to affect her. White said she only eats at the restaurant once in a while because of high prices.

“I think it will be positive,” she said. “If I eat here in the spring, I usually take it outside anyway. The patio will make it easier to study out there.”

Though Kiva will not be accessible for a few weeks, Mangan said he thinks the improvements will make up for the weeks the restaurant is closed.

“We’ve got some great foods available other places in the building,” he said. “I think the work will be well received when it’s done.”

Junior Carrie Coon said she eats at Kiva almost every day and thinks the improvements will be good for the restaurant.

“I don’t know how they can get much healthier,” she said. “I think in the long run it will improve business.”