IU drops 3rd contest in 4 days

Puerto Rico Basketball

They came quickly, one after the other.

Three losses in four days.

IU, now 2-3, returns from the Puerto Rico Tip-Off with a losing record, but experience against better teams.

“We definitely learned a lot over this entire week here,” freshman forward Bobby Capobianco said.

After their 89-71 loss to Ole Miss, IU lost two close games to Boston, 71-67, and George Mason, 69-66.

IU finished last in the eight-team tournament, the only winless team in a field that included No. 5 Villanova, No. 18 Dayton and No. 21 Georgia Tech.

The Hoosiers had a one-point lead at halftime and saw lead changes and ties throughout Sunday’s game against George Mason.

Freshman guard Maurice Creek was the team’s leading scorer with 15 points, followed by sophomore guard Verdell Jones with 13. Freshman forward Christian Watford – who had been averaging 15.5 points before the tournament – finished with 10 points on Sunday and 23.1 percent shooting.

Despite the three losses, the trip gave IU some needed experience.

IU improved in some aspects during the three games, going from 44.4 percent free-throw shooting against Ole Miss on Thursday to 75 percent on Sunday.

The team also improved its three-point shooting throughout the weekend, from 20 percent against the Rebels to 62.5 against George Mason.

“We’re just a few plays away, just needing to focus a little bit longer,” junior guard Jeremiah Rivers said. “We can translate that to wins.”

As well as IU shot its free throws, it did as poorly from the field. The Hoosiers finished the game with a 35.1 percent field goal percentage, their lowest all season. They averaged 39.4 percent during the three games, the highest being 42.1 percent against Boston University.

The trip can only serve to prepare IU for its next games. After Thanksgiving, the team returns to Assembly Hall to face Northwestern State, a team they defeated 83-65 last year. Then they’ll take on Maryland, Pittsburgh and Kentucky, all within a two-week span.

“There was a ton to learn from this tournament,” IU coach Tom Crean said. “There’s disappointment, no question about that, but I hope the fans and the university and everybody stays with me on this. No way to be discouraged.”