Monday, June 17

Ice hockey team faces biggest rival

IU’s rivalry with Kentucky will be in full swing at 9:15 p.m. Friday – this time, on the ice in the Frank Southern Ice Arena.

The No. 26 Hoosiers (3-11) will play a D-II Kentucky squad in the first game of a home series. The second game will be played at midnight on Saturday in Kentucky.

Friday’s game has been traditionally one of the biggest draws of the season, and no member on IU’s team has ever lost this game.

“Since I have been here we have never lost to them,” senior center Adam Logue said. “It’s my favorite game of the year. I love this game more than any other game.”
The atmosphere should help the Hoosiers pick up a much needed win.

IU has yet to get a win against D-I opponents, but have still received enough votes to be ranked in the top-30 because of the high level of hockey they are playing.

IU coach Tom Orr describes the team as being on the hottest losing streak in the country, but with the Hoosiers being favored Friday night Orr is ready to take on Kentucky with full force.

“I think we have been an underdog in almost every game,” he said. “I look forward to beating Kentucky.”

In a game that almost always goes down to the wire, Orr hopes to get another big draw Friday night.

“When we played against them last year, ESPN Magazine described it as being one of the most exciting and out-of-control games.”

Despite the emotions involved, the Hoosiers need to make sure they still play the D-I level of hockey they have been.

“We really can’t play down to their level,” Logue said. “If we play like we played against Division I teams, we will have no problem.”