sports women's soccer

Hoosiers drop 2 weekend games

With Big Ten conference play on its final stretch, the No. 23 IU women’s soccer team (10-5-2, 2-4-2 Big Ten) suffered a pair of losses against Penn State and Ohio State on Thursday and Sunday, respectively.

The Hoosiers came into the weekend tied for seventh in the Big Ten, but still had an outside shot of winning the conference.

On Thursday, they were defeated for the first time at home all season against No. 25 Penn State (11-5-2, 7-1-1 Big Ten).

Trailing 1-0 in the 70th minute, junior forward Jocelyn Moses struck one past the goalkeeper for her third goal of the season.

Ten minutes later, Penn State senior forward Katie Schoepfer recorded her second assist of the game to help ensure the Nittany Lions victory. Schoepfer hooked up with freshman and U.S. National team midfielder Christine Nairn to take a 2-1 lead on the eventual game-winning goal.

Penn State had a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks and a 9-6 edge in shots in the game.

On Sunday, the Hoosiers traveled to Ohio State (14-2-2, 7-1-1) to take on the No. 15 Buckeyes. Ohio State led the game in nearly every statistical category, which resulted in a 6-0 loss for the Hoosiers.

“We didn’t come to compete,” IU women’s soccer coach Mick Lyon said. “From the first
whistle, we didn’t compete. When you play against a team like Ohio State, they play very direct and very physical, and we didn’t match that level of intensity.”

McKay had two shots on the game and one on goal for IU.

Junior goalkeeper Lauren Hollandsworth made a pair of diving saves in the first half, but the Buckeyes came out fired up on Senior Day and dominated total time of possession all game.