H1N1 found in Ind. pigs

The H1N1 virus has been detected in an Indiana commercial swine herd.

Both pigs and humans at an undisclosed commercial pig farm in the state contracted the virus in October, said Denise Derrer, Indiana State Board of Animal Health public information director.

Voluntary testing by the U.S. Department of Agriculture confirmed the diagnosis.

The virus has since been contained, and all those infected have fully recovered, Derrer said.

Owners and handlers became concerned about transmission after several people in close contact with the animals showed flu-like symptoms.

“They then began to see clinical signs in the herd,” Derrer said. “This was person-to-pig transmission.”

Humans are at no risk for contracting the virus by eating pork products as the virus itself stays in the lungs and respiratory systems of the animal rather than in the muscle meat people eat.

“It’s important for people not to worry about the safety of the food supply,” Derrer said. “Pork and pork products are not a risk. We’ve been saying that for months now.”

Though the disease was transmitted from human to animal, the average person won’t be at risk to catch the virus from a pig.

“There is no additional human health concern,” said Jennifer Dunlap, a representative for the Indiana State Department of Health. “So long as food is properly handled, people are at no risk.”

Derrer reiterated that the diagnosis should not alarm the general public.

“You’re at much, much greater risk to contract the virus at a grocery store or a restaurant than from a hog,” Derrer said.

In October, a Minnesota pig was the first in the U.S. to contract the virus.

Pigs, like humans, go through a yearly “flu season” and present similar symptoms, such as fever and respiratory illness.

Derrer said the only distinguishing characteristic of this particular strain is its novelty.
“Otherwise, it’s just another flu illness in a hog herd,” Derrer said. “It’s a common thing, just like in people.”