sports field hockey

Brian Moeljadi serves as more than a manager

Field Hockey

Before rushing to the Kelley School of Business to take a test, Brian Moeljadi  had to manage an IU field hockey practice.

For the past two years, he has had many instances like this.

In the fall of 2008, Moeljadi, a student in the Kelley School of Business, became manager of the field hockey team after a tip from his sister, sophomore Brenna Moeljadi, who plays back for the team.

“I told him there was an opening for a manager spot in my freshman year because our manager was leaving,” Brenna Moeljadi said.

He came into it just wanting a job, but Brian Moeljadi realized he’d learn more than the menial tasks that being a manager had to offer. He would pick up field hockey balls and film the team at home and on road trips, but he’d also develop skills he could apply to his future.

Brian Moeljadi has helped the team for two years with the business and advertising aspects of the game through marketing plans to recruit athletes.

He will help the team until he graduates from the Kelley Honors program in May of 2010. Brenna Moeljadi will be at IU for two years after her brother leaves.

For now, Brian Moeljadi helps out with the small things that keep the team together. He handles and picks up equipment, travels with the team and provides comic relief.

Brenna Moeljadi said the team loves having him along on the road.

“He is always fun to have on away trips, and we are really close,” she said, “so we don’t fight very much.”

He does more than steer clear of disputes with his sister. IU coach Amy Robertson said she appreciates the assistance he provides.

“For the coaches, he is a huge help because there’s always things that we don’t have time to do,” Robertson said. “But he is there to help us.”

Robertson said Brian Moeljadi works more than most people realize. 

“He does a lot of things behind the scenes that often go unthanked and the team isn’t aware of,” Robertson said.

Beside helping the team with its daily needs, he balances time as a student in the business school with his team duties.

“Trying to balance business school with my job wears on me sometimes,” Brian Moeljadi said.

Robertson compared his schedule to the athletes because of the time and effort he puts into helping the team. IU field hockey plays about 20 games a year, performing almost twice a weekend for the past two months, and usually practices three to four days a week.

As a manager, Brian Moeljadi is required to be at every event.

“He is like a student athlete, who goes to practices and games but also needs to keep his grades up,” Robertson said.

Many people will miss Brian Moeljadi because of the work he’s done and the friendships he’s made during the past two years.

“I won’t know how much I will miss him until he’s gone,” Brenna Moeljadi said.
Brian Moeljadi, however, said he knows what he’ll look back on when he leaves IU field hockey.

“I will miss the camaraderie that comes with being a part of a team,” he said.
Robertson said she will continue to see the results of Brian Moeljadi’s time with IU for years to come.

“I truly appreciate him and really enjoy having him around,” she said. “I will feel the benefits of Brian long after he’s gone from here.”