sports field hockey

Team sweeps final games at home

Field Hockey

The No. 20 Hoosiers (11-5, 3-2) came away with two wins this weekend in their final home games of the season.

Their first matchup was an offensive performance by the Hoosiers as they took a 4-1 decision over Penn State.

Penn State got off to an early lead with a goal by freshman forward Hannah Allison off of a penalty corner at the 10th minute.

Three minutes later, the Hoosiers responded with a goal from freshman forward Shareyna Chang thanks to a fast break assist from sophomore forward Corey Brautigam.

“We really connected and communicated with each other,” Chang said.
At the 17th minute, senior midfielder Meg O’Connell scored, with the assist going to Chang.

“I thought it was a total team effort,” IU field hockey coach Amy Robertson said.”There’s no lack of motivation when we play.”

Before halftime began, IU scored again off of a penalty corner from freshman forward Morgan Fleetwood.

“I think we played more as a team than any other game we have played yet,” Fleetwood said.

Fleetwood scored her second goal of the game and 10th goal of the season with an assist by junior forward Katie Griswold.

“This win gets us really hyped and gives us confidence for the rest of our games,” Chang said.

Next up was Pacific for IU’s final home game and its senior day. Seven Hoosiers were honored prior to the start of the game, and the Hoosiers came away with a 3-0 victory.

In the first half, neither team netted the ball, even though Indiana took seven shots.
“We communicated better in the second half, which showed with the goals scored,” senior forward Haley Funk said.

IU took the lead at the 48th minute, when O’Connell scored an unassisted goal off of a penalty corner.

“We created better opportunities to score in the second half,” O’Connell said.
Five minutes later, the Hoosiers took a 2-0 lead thanks to a goal from freshman forward Brooke Borneman via a pass by O’Connell. Borneman came into the game as a substitute.

“People stepped off the bench and made significant contributions,” Robertson said.
IU finished off the game with one more goal from Funk from a pass on the far left side from Fleetwood.

Indiana goes to Michigan for their last game of the regular season at 1 p.m. Saturday.

They head into Ann Arbor, Mich., with a four game win streak.

“We’re going to keep moving forward and keep recognizing what we are doing well,” Robertson said.