Team faces Big Ten talent this weekend

The team season is still some three months away, but the IU men’s tennis team will get to see some Big Ten talent this weekend.

The Hoosiers are in East Lansing, Mich., for the Big Ten Singles Championships, which begin Friday.

Few top players will participate – junior Lachlan Ferguson and sophomore Maxime Armengaud will not – but IU’s younger players will get their first look at conference players.

Sophomore Stephen Vogl didn’t get the opportunity to play in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional last week and he is ready to get back on the court.

“Last week was tough just watching, not being able to play,” he said. “I’m pretty pumped to get back out there. It’s going to be a pretty high level of competition with some good players from the Big Ten playing. It will be a good experience.”

Freshman Josh MacTaggart, who advanced to the singles round of eight at the regional, will team with junior Santiago Gruter in the “A” doubles draw this weekend.

MacTaggart and Gruter are seeded third and fourth in the singles bracket, respectively, and IU coach Randy Bloemendaal is hopeful that they will respond well to seeing conference players.

“For a lot of young men, it’s a big advantage when they get to see what they’re working for and who they’re trying to compete with and beat,” Bloemendaal said.  “For the most part, there are a lot of good players there.

“It’s a very prestigious tournament. Over the years, professionals and college champions play in this tournament and win it. It would be a honor for one of our guys to advance to the final.”