Saturday, June 15

‘PINK’ party transforms Dunn Meadow

girltalk

Celebrities, charities and polka-dotted panties will join forces today to celebrate the power of pink.

DJ Girl Talk and chart-topping band Cobra Starship will entertain for the Victoria’s Secret Pink Nation B-Town Bash at 5 p.m. in Dunn Meadow.

The festival-style event, hosted by supermodel Behati Prinsloo, will feature a pop-up shop vending IU gear, a “Hope Wall” for attendees to decorate, cornhole and giveaway items.

Hoosiers secured today’s event by a small margin of online votes.

“It all started with a contest this summer,” said junior Mary Deneen, Victoria’s Secret Pink campus representative. “We were competing against five other schools to win a bash here, and it was very close. We beat Auburn University by about 1 percent.”

Deneen said IU was eligible to compete after Victoria’s Secret began selling cream and crimson gear in the Pink Collegiate Collection: a selection of sweatshirts, sweatpants and hoodies decorated with school colors and mascots.

Senior Caitlyn Kuhs, Union Board concerts director, said the stage and other event sites have been under construction in Dunn Meadow since Tuesday.

“We’re setting up big,” she said. “There are a lot of reasons for people to come. Girl Talk and Cobra Starship will bring in different crowds.”

Aside from grooving to live music and mingling with celebrity guest MTV reality star Whitney Port, students will have the opportunity to benefit a local charity organization.

Pink recycling bins will be stationed throughout Dunn Meadow to collect gently-used
garments and toiletries to benefit Bloomington’s Middle Way House, a domestic violence and rape crisis center.

All proceeds from limited edition B-Town Bash T-shirts will also be donated to the House.

“Pink is a brand for women,” Deneen said. “Why not support women facing struggles?”

Though the B-Town Bash is a celebration of femininity, men are encouraged to attend.

Junior Lizzy Gerard, a Victoria’s Secret campus representative, said the event will be a great venue for men to meet women.

“It’s for everyone,” she said. “Many guys I’ve talked to want to see Girl Talk. Plus, it’s a fun, free thing to do before you go out Thursday night.”

IU radio station WIUX will broadcast live from Dunn Meadow and offer giveaways throughout the evening.

Junior Kat Coplen, WIUX public relations director, said she’s looking forward to the station conducting an interview with Girl Talk.

“Nothing can beat a free concert with amazing artists,” she said. “There will be tons of fun things to do and literally thousands of people.”