Saturday, June 15

Model hopefuls ready fierce fashions for ‘Troupe’

Fierce strides. Bold swagger. Predatory prowling.
Every style of walk was represented at the Epiphany Modeling Troupe auditions Wednesday night.

The troupe, a multi-cultural organization uniting students interested in fashion, called for models, make-up artists, photographers and hair-stylists to arrive at the Fine Arts building dressed to impress. Once there, hopefuls strutted before a panel of judges in small-group interviews. But physical appearance wasn’t the only trait considered.

IU student Mellonease Encalade, Epiphany’s reservation specialist, said personality and confidence are more important than superficial beauty. The group looks for individuals willing to participate in charity events and give back to the community.

“No one personality is the same,” she said. “We always stay at practice late because we have so much fun.”

Upon entering the Fine Arts building auditorium, interested students were separated into smaller groups and placed on stage or another classroom. Judges attempted to push each potential member to his or her full potential, Encalade said.

“We build confidence,” she said. “We have walking coaches, stylists. We just want everyone to have fun this year.”

IU student and Epiphany’s stylist Garrie Burt, said participating in runway shows build character and catalyzes personal growth. Epiphany organizes two shows a year – one at the end of each semester.

“The environment is such a confidence booster,” Burt said. “I was a model last year and loved it.”

This year, Burt contacted stores to be featured in fashion shows and assembles outfits based on models’ personality and style.
“We learn choreography steps and pivots, and bring it to the runway with confidence,” he said.

Freshman Katelyn Dawson rushed to the audition in a fuchsia blouse, black pencil skirt and shiny, matching heels. She had been running late, but Epiphany members allowed her to audition with warm smiles and zero complaint.

“I was so excited, and a little nervous,” Dawson said. “I heard about the program during an IU summer program and loved it. They don’t judge you on size and height.”

Dawson, who attended a private high school with one predominant race, said she couldn’t wait for the opportunity to meet new people from different backgrounds.

“It’s a good way to get involved at IU,” she said. “It’s so fun to wear cute clothes and walk down the runway. Also, I’m doing something I like while serving the community.”