Saturday, June 15

McRobbie breaks ground on IU Cinema project

Drama and film lovers of all ages attended the IU Theatre renovation and IU Cinema groundbreaking ceremony Saturday.

IU President Michael McRobbie stood behind a podium on the steps of University Theatre and addressed a coat-clad crowd.

McRobbie delivered a speech about the importance of film and theater and discussed IU’s dedication to the arts despite difficult economic times.

“Both facilities will reinforce IU’s strong commitment to the arts,” he said.

He motioned to the building behind him and recounted bits of the IU Auditorium’s history.

“The Chicago Symphony played here six times,” he said. “Ray Charles mesmerized audiences.”

Also speaking were Karen Hanson, IU provost and executive vice president, and Bennett Bertenthal, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

After speeches by Hanson and Bertenthal, McRobbie turned the attention to four silver shovels protruding from a dirt-filled wooden box.

“Our groundbreaking ceremony, as you can see, is largely symbolic,” he said.

After five rounds of shoveling by McRobbie, trustee members, professors and architects, the ground was officially broken.

Senior  Jessica Schul, president of Residence Halls Association, sat among spectators as brown particles flecked the steps.

“It was very interesting to be part of this ceremony,” she said. “It gives you insight on the theater’s potential.”

Schul received a “backstage pass” to tour the theater’s currently gutted interior. Inside, she and other participants were able to view the open space, as well as designs of how it will look once it’s completed in fall 2010.

Graduate student Juan Berumen munched on a complimentary Indiana-shaped cookie as he toured the theater. He said he attended the ceremony to learn more about IU happenings.

“I’m in cinema and theater and am excited to see what the University is doing to develop it,” he said. “I enjoyed McRobbie’s speech. He was able to connect the significance of cinema with other artistic expressions.”

Berumen said focusing on something meaningful, such as art, takes the edge off otherwise tough economical times.

“It’s instinctual,” he said. “When times get hard, you want people to come together.”