Kelley professor named business journal editor

Dean A. Shepherd’s busy schedule just got a little busier.

Shepherd, a professor of entrepreneurship at the Kelley School of Business, was recently appointed editor-in-chief of the Journal of Business Venturing.

“He is a very busy person,” said Sue Artmeier, assistant director for the Johnson Center For Entrepreneurship & Innovation. “It’s not unusual for him to be here at 5:30 a.m. working on his research.” 

In addition to research, Shepherd teaches two doctoral courses, two masters of business administration courses, reviews manuscripts for the Journal and works on review boards of other journals.

“He’s overseeing the top journal in the entrepreneurship field,” said Donald F. Kuratko, executive director of the Johnson Center. “There can be days where he might, on average, get 10 manuscripts, and he’s got to read and review them.” 

Kuratko has co-written journal articles with Shepherd and marvels at his colleague’s dedication.

“Dr. Shepherd really balances his life,” Kuratko said. “He’s extraordinarily devoted to his research and his work, but his down time is dedicated to his family.” 

Australian by birth, Shepherd first became interested in the field of entrepreneurship when he earned his MBA from Bond University. He then moved to the U.S. to earn his Ph.D. 

After assistant teaching jobs at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the University of Colorado at Boulder, Shepherd accepted IU’s offer of employment four years ago. 

“I love it here,” Shepherd said. “This is the place for entrepreneurship research.” 

Kuratko, who is responsible for recruiting new hires, said he wanted to add Shepherd to the faculty to bolster an already renowned entrepreneurial department.

“We began to approach the best around the country, asking them if they wanted to be a part of our department,” Kuratko said. “We want to build the best.” 

Artmeier had similar praise for Shepherd. 

“In the field, he is considered probably one of the top 10 researchers and experts in the world,” she said. 

Shepherd said he’s honored by the appointment to the Journal. 

“I remember when I was in Australia, wondering if I could ever get a paper published in the Journal,” he said. “Now I’m the actual editor. It’s quite an honor and quite a responsibility.” 

In addition to his recent appointment, Shepherd is the recipient of several national awards, most notably the National Academy of Management Entrepreneurship Mentor Award in 2008.

Shepherd said the award is more meaningful than the editor-in-chief appointment, because the award distinguishes him as a top entrepreneurial professor.

“Every time I get a Ph.D. student, I see that as my most important responsibility,” he said. “The things I feel most proud of have been my doctoral students that have gone on to be really successful.”

Jenny House, a second-year student in the entrepreneurship Ph.D. program, is in one of Shepherd’s seminars this semester. 

“His style is sort of unpredictable, but that’s what makes it fun,” she said.
Once his day of teaching, editing and research ends at 4:30 p.m., Shepherd is completely devoted to his family.

“Ever since (the kids) have been born, I’ve never done any work at home,” he said. “When I’m at school, my family doesn’t contact me or intervene in the work day, but when I’m home, I’m there 100 percent.”

For life after teaching and researching, Shepherd never wants to give up his passion completely.

“I think I’m going to die doing it,” he said. “I can’t see myself retiring. When I get really old, I think I’ll still be doing research, it just might be a little bit different. But I don’t ever see myself not doing it.”