IU to have largest Law Day for 5th year in a row

Students who wish to get a head start in the law school selection and application process can do so at Tuesday’s Law Day.

The day begins at the Whittenberger Auditorium with a panel discussion from 9 to 10:45 a.m. and proceeds to Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union, where representatives from 111 law schools will be present.

“It’s really a unique opportunity to have so many law schools here,” said Mac Francis, Director of Health Professions and Prelaw Center and president of the Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors. “It’s a huge advantage ... In the United States, there are 200 law schools approved by the American Bar Association.”

At the panel discussion students get an inside perspective as to what law school administrators want in an application.

Law school administrators give their perspective as to what they like and don’t like in an application, Tolen said.

“Students get to talk to directors, administrators and application personnel,” said Rachel Tolen, assistant director of Health Professions and Prelaw Center. “It gives students a rare opportunity.”

At the fair students can get more personal interaction with those involved in the application process.

“It gives students a chance to make a connection with someone important in the process,” Francis said.

The Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors organized the event and has an all-Big Ten Caravan, which brings the law school fairs to Big Ten universities.

Although the law school fairs travel around, IU will have the largest fair in the country for the fifth year in a row, Francis said.

The reason so many representatives come to IU’s fair is due to its large turnout of students. Last year, more than 640 students attended, Tolen said.

“With the economy, we expected the turnout to be lower,” Francis said. “The old record is 108, and the new one is 111. We expected schools to cut budgets. It was a friendly surprise.”

IU also has a reputation of having interested and insightful students.

“Law school representatives know a lot of students who show up at IU’s fair are smart and ask good questions,” Tolen said. “IU students have a reputation to be proactive and have good expectations.”

The fair helps students narrow their choices down to a list of law schools that match their interests.

“Each applicant brings a unique perspective,” said Frank Motley, assistant dean of admissions at the IU Maurer School of Law. “And each law school is interested in different students. Find a law school that matches.”

Students usually leave feeling better about the application process.

“Student leave optimistic and inspired,” Francis said. “Students that come out think it’s worth their while.”

What You Need To Know

WHO SHOULD GO The fair is for freshmen students just learning about law school to juniors and seniors in the application process, said Rachel Tolen, assistant director of Health Professions and Prelaw Center.

WHAT THEY SHOULD WEAR Business casual

WHAT THEY SHOULD ASK “Students should ask about what their range of GPA and LSAT scores are and what weight is given to each,” Tolen said. “Ask if there are any particular areas of law that they specialize in. Other standard questions: its atmosphere, financial aid and career placement services they provide when they leave the school. “

“Are there students from IU at the institution now?” said Frank Motley, assistant dean of admissions at the IU Maurer School of Law.

WHAT THEY SHOULD BRING “I think they should have a card with their name, address and e-mail because it will save them a lot of writing,” Motley said. “And if they have a resume, they should bring one.”

AVOID THIS MISTAKE “Students go to schools they are interested in, but they also need to go to the schools they are curious about,” Motley said. “Popular schools get a lot of students at their tables, while other very good schools have no one. ... Talk to everyone.”