Monday, June 17

IU plays final home game vs. Michigan

IU’s men’s club rugby team has momentum coming into its final regular season home game against Michigan.

The Hoosiers (6-2) upset No. 13 Ohio State, one of the nation’s most dominant rugby programs, last weekend 13-10.

The back-and-forth match was a must-win for the Hoosiers, who are looking for a bid to the Midwest Championships on Nov. 14 and 15.

Now, IU prepares for its last game against Michigan at 1 p.m. on Saturday at Evan Williams Club Sports Field near the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation.

IU is highly favored coming into this game, with its only two loses this season at the hands of Notre Dame.

Michigan comes into the match without a single win against a Midwest team.
Club President Dave Harbeck said he knows Michigan’s record will not mean anything Saturday.

“With rugby, anything can really happen,” he said. “You never really know what team will show up.”

Harbeck also mentioned that Michigan has suffered from some disciplinary problems earlier in the year, so it is very possible that by now they could have eligible players to put together a strong squad.

There is more on the line than just a win. The Hoosiers hope to gain home field advantage for the 4 Quarterfinal game that a team must win if they hope to compete in the Midwest Championships.

Men’s rugby has had a strong season so far, and they are looking to continue the season into November.

“We are hoping to pull everything together we have been working on this year and have a big win over Michigan,” Harbeck said.