Homecoming Week packed with IU pride

IU Homecoming begins its second century with 8 days of concerts, competitions and rallies

Nearly Naked Mile

IU Homecoming is 101 years old.

The first homecoming in 1908 centered around three new buildings on campus and alumni flooded the campus to celebrate.

In 1909 IU hosted “Gala Day,” a homecoming event that coincided with an IU-Purdue football game.

“To my understanding there were trains coming in from Indianapolis equivalent to that of a parade,” said Conor McIntyre, director of student programming for the IU Alumni Association.

In 1910 IU hosted a homecoming event for alumni in conjunction with an IU-Illinois football game.

Throughout the years traditions have developed that are now synonymous with IU’s Homecoming and Hoosier spirit.

The main purpose of these traditions is to connect students to the university.
“I think it builds a sense of community,” McIntyre said. “It connects alumni to students.”

Nearly Naked Mile 

This new homecoming tradition is in its second year but has created a buzz on campus.

The event benefits the charities United Way and My Sister’s Closet. Students can donate $10 to the event or donate their clothes.

Most students come wearing extra clothes to the event and donate the clothes off their back, said senior Brian Smith, director of Hoosier Village. People do group exercises, lead each other in songs and cheers.

Expert Tip: “Don’t go in something lewd,” Smith said. “Go with what people don’t see everyday.”

Go in body paints, wigs, bathing suits and even a cape, Smith said.

Homecoming Blood Drive

The event has been affiliated with the IU vs. Purdue Blood Donor Challenge, but this is the first year the event is standing by itself, said Heather Schaefer, president of the IU Student Alumni Association. Students can donate blood throughout the day. This is the blood drive’s 13th year, which shows a lot about Hoosier spirit.

“Homecoming is all about showing your Hoosier spirit and a part of that is giving back to the community,” Schaefer said.

Spirit Day

The IU Student Alumni Association gives out Hoosier goodies for the second year.

Cornhole Tournament & Bonfire

A lot of college students play cornhole, but it is special to Indiana because we are the corn state, Schaefer said.

“It’s all about building relationships and enjoying IU,” Schaefer said. The cornhole tournament is in its third year.

Yell Like Hell

Yell Like Hell is a spirit competition that is in its 10th year. The competition includes dancing acts, singing acts and skits performed by student organizations and greek organizations.

Pep Rally & Homecoming Parade

Students line up at Willkie Quad and the parade ends in front of the Sample Gates, where the pep rally takes place. This year the parade is celebrating its 51st year.
“It’s a part of IU Homecoming history,” McIntyre said.  

Tailgate & Game

Expert tip: Wear IU apparel from Spirit Day.

“There are a lot of events and everyone is really busy because it’s midterm week,” Schaefer said. “But pick an event and come out. We get so busy with our classes that we stop to look around. Homecoming is a time to be proud to wear your cream and crimson shirt and be a part of a great tradition.”

IU Fight Song

In 1912 “Indiana, Our Indiana” gained momentum as the most well-known IU song. The fight song is prominent during Homecoming, McIntyre said. Students sing the fight song at the bonfire before the fire is set.