world

Dictator Pinochet’s legacy

SANTIAGO, Chile – The history of Chile comes to light in the month of September. The month has great significance to the people of Chile.

Chileans celebrate their independence from Spain on September 18 with barbeques and carnivals that last all day. These celebrations are mainly spent with family and friends and include the traditional foods and dances of Chile. However, these celebrations are sometimes overshadowed by remembering another important day in Chile’s history.

Many citizens can not help but recall the day of Sept. 11, 1973. This day has great significance in Chile’s history and will not soon be forgotten by the citizens of Chile.

On that day, General Augusto Pinochet led a coup d’état against the President of Chile, Salvador Allende. The coup was supported by the CIA in an effort to reform the government of Chile.

The plan for reform was to rotate leaders between the heads of the Navy, Air Force, Carabineros (Chilean police force) and the army. However this plan was never completed as the Army general Pinochet soon took full control of the country.

Under the rule of Pinochet, chaos ensued. Thousands of Chilean leftists and suspected leftists were killed or disappeared in the first few months of his dictatorship.
Some of these were citizens of the United States, the UK and many other countries.

Many of Chile’s citizens were imprisoned, tortured or exiled. The current president, Michelle Bachelet was among those imprisoned and tortured in a detention center during this time. Protests also became a daily occurrence as families searched desperately for their loved ones.

These memories are recalled by Chileans throughout this time. During the past two weeks I have heard the stories of several people directly affected by the dictatorship of Pinochet. The topic is always mentioned with caution and as Americans we have been told to be very careful in discussions of this time in history. During the dictatorship of Pinochet some families chose to avoid the conflict completely by leaving the country.

One of my professors spent the first twenty one years of her life living in Venezuela as her parents decided to move just after her birth for their safety. My host mother lived in northern Chile until her brother was murdered at the age of twenty-one by the Chilean military.

Everyone in Chile was affected under the dictatorship of Pinochet and the memories still bring grief to many today.

Fortunately the government has greatly improved in Chile since then. After Pinochet’s rule the government returned to democracy under the leadership of Patricio Aylwin.

Today the government of Chile is led by President Michelle Bachelet who is working to improve many aspect of the country. 

While Chileans will never forget the dictatorship of Pinochet, they now have hopes of a better future for their families.