Breaking down the chick flick

Amelie

The chick flick: A short but sweet term defining a genre of films that both enchant and haunt women all over the world.

There are three main components of a chick flick: a leading female lady with a dilemma, a memorable, emotionally charged hook-up and a happy ending. Every year, this formulaic genre rolls out dozens of tear-jerkers for female audiences everywhere.

“Chick flicks are relaxing, entertaining, fun and make you laugh,” freshman Jessica Moranski said.

This phenomenon of films created primarily for females seems to have existed forever, but in fact the term “chick flick” itself did not come to be until 1992 when it was coined by Brian Shipkin. Prior to the modern chick-flick film, this genre of films was often called “women’s pictures.”

“Films portraying females have changed drastically over the past couple decades,” Yvette Alex-Assensoh, dean of the Office of Women’s Affairs, said. “The movie industry has gone from producing films like ‘Steel Magnolias,’ that discuss female bonding and multi-layered women, to that of modern chick flicks that portray girls as superficial.”

When going on dates, couples should try to pick a neutral film that makes both parties happy.

“I think boys are more likely to watch a romantic comedy than a chick flick,” senior Audree Notoras, Union Board films director, said.

It is apparent that men on campus might not be into happy, sappy female films, but everyone can enjoy a good laugh. So, girls, give in a little and watch something girly yet funny for the guy’s sake. And boys, instead of griping about how much you hate chick flicks, endure and try to pay attention to things that interest a girl.